MELLOWBITES SPICE SERIES
RASAM POWDER & RASAM
Rasam is a staple diet of South Indian cooking and Rasam powder is one integral spice powder of a south Indian kitchen.Lwet's make a fresh homemade rasam powder and see one basic rasam recipe with this Powder.
Cumin seeds -1/2 cup
Coriander seeds -1
Toor dhal -1/4 cup
Whole red chili -8-10
- In a heavy bottomed pan/cast iron pan add cumin seeds and dry roast it on simmer until a nice aroma comes and cumin seeds turn mild golden. Transfer it to a plate.
- Dry roast peppercorns also in the same pan on simmer for 2 -3 minutes and transfer it to a plate.
- Dry roast toor dal until it turns light golden and transfer it to a plate.
- Dry roast coriander seeds until you get a nice aroma of coriander seeds. Transfer it to a plate.
- Finally dry roast 8-10 red chilies just for 1-2 minutes
- Blend all the dry toasted ingredients into a fine powder
- Instead of dry roasting You can also sundry putting all these ingredients spread on a wide plate for 2 days and blend it into a fine powder.
- Store it in an air tight container for up to six months
Tamarind - 1 amla sized ball
Sesame oil -1 tbsp
Mustard seeds -1/3 tsp
Fenugreek seeds -1/3 tsp
Whole Red chili -1
Asafoetida -1/8 tsp
Garlic cloves -3 finely chopped
Curry leaves -1/4 cup
cilantro -1/4 cup
Tomato - 1 finely chopped
Rasam powder - 21/2- 3 tsp
- Soak tamarind in a bowl with 21/2 cups of water for at least 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out the juice out of it and discard the pulp.
- In a pot heat sesame oil, and temper with mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, put in fenugreek seeds , whole red chili ,finely chopped garlic cloves and asafetida.
- Follow it by chopped curry leaves, cilantro and tomato
- Sauté it for a minute or two.
- Put in rasam powder and saute for few seconds.
- Pour in the prepared tamarind juice ,and let it come to a rolling boil ,switch of immediately.
- To a serving bowl add adequate salt for the rasam and pour in piping hot Rasam.
- Serve hot over rice.
FOR VIDEO LINK
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Recipe for how to cook kale?ReplyDelete
You need extra virgin olive oil, salt. 2 cloves of the garlic, black pepper, along with the red pepper, and a lot of the lemon juice to cook the kale.
how to cook kale