PAKODA (With Bengal gram)
Instead of making pakoda using gram flour, in southern region of Tamilnadu, we make it using bengal gram(kadalai paruppu). This is so crunchy and can be had as a snack or side .
Bengal gram/kadalai paruppu - 1 cup
shallots /sambar vengayam - 10 (chopped)
green chili - 1-2
curry leaves - 2 sprigs
fennel seeds -1 tsp
salt - as needed
oil - to deep fry
preparation time: 3 hrs 30 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- Wash and Soak bengal gram in water for 3 hours.Then drain it thoroughly and spread it over a soft cloth for 15 - 20 20 minutes.
- After that grind the bengal gram coarsely in mixer in pulse mode (30 seconds) and transfer into a bowl.
- Grind green chili ,curry leaves and fennel seeds together.
- Now add it to the coarsely ground bengal gram with chopped shallots and adequate salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Drop the mixture into the oil into small sizes in batches and fry until golden
- Pakoda is ready to serve