Plantain Kofta curry(Authentic South Indian style)
Plantain kofta curry delicious finger licking curry with plantains cooked in a very authentic south indian style using freshly ground spice masala powder .Here it had been made in a version were deep frying was avoided.
For koftas:Plantain/vazhakkai -1
coriander powder -1/2 tsp
cumin powder -11/2 tsp
chili powder -1/2 tsp
turmeric -1/4 tsp
salt -to taste
pottukadalai/fried gram dal powder -21/2 tbsp
cilantro finely chopped -1 tsp
For curry:onion -1/2 finely chopped
tomato -1/2 finely chopped
green chili -1
curry leaves -few
salt -to taste
oil -3 tsp
coconut milk -3/4 cup
For masala:chana dhal/bengal gram -2 tsp
coriander seeds -1 tsp
cumin seeds -1 tsp
whole red chili -2
garlic clove -1
cinnamon -small piece
fennel seeds -1/4 tsp
shredded coconut -2 tbsp
Preparation time:30 min
Cooking time :40 min
- In a pressure cooker cook plantain with water for a whistle.Alternately you can steam in a idli steamer .Peel the skin off and grate the cooked plantain using a grater.
- Mix all the ingredients given under for kofta well(you can add more pottukadalai/fried gram dhal powder for binding if necessary)
- Make it into small kofta balls .Heat oil in a kuzhi paniyaram pan and fry evenly on all sides .(Alternately you can deep fry the koftas )
- Koftas are ready.
- In a small pan heat oil and temper with cinnamon,ginger and garlic .
- Follow it with chana dal/bengal gram, red chilies, cumin seeds.
- After a minute add shredded coconut also and fry until well roasted.cool down and blend it into a fine powder.
- In a pan heat oil and temper with green chili and curry leaves.
- Add onion and fry until transparent.
- Then add the tomato and cook until mushy.
- Put adequate salt and turmeric.
- Add the ground masala powder and mix well.
- Pour a cup of water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then put in coconut milk and little more water .
- Cook until it boils and becomes frothy.
- Add the koftas and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over Rice.
Post a Comment