Brinjal /kathirikai rasavangi
brinjal/kathirikai - 9
tamarind paste - 11/2 tsp
turmeric - 1/8 tsp
toor dal/split pigeon peas - 1/2 cup
salt - to taste
For frying and grinding:
oil - 2 tsp
coriander seeds -1 tbsp
urad dhal/split black gram -1 tbsp
shredded coconut -2 tbsp
whole red chilies -5-6
oil -1 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
urad dhal/split black gram -1/2 tsp
hing - pinch
curry leaves - few
- In a pressure cooker cook toor dal for a whistle.you can alternately cook in a pot too until mushy.
- In a pan heat oil and fry whole red chilies , coriander seeds, urad dhal .
- When it turns almost golden add the shredded coconut and cook until it turns golden.
- Allow it to cool and blend it into a fine powder.
- Mix tamarind paste in 1/2 cup of water
- Cut brinjal into slices.In a kadai cook brinjal slices in 2 1/2 cups of water ,salt ,turmeric and tamarind water.
- When brinjal is 70% done add the cooked toor dhal and ground powder to it.
- Simultaneously heat oil in a small pan and allow mustard seeds to splutter,also temper with urad dhal, hing and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering into the kadai and cook until the brinjal is completely cooked.
- Serve with Rice and papad.
Post a Comment